Frequently Asked Questions
Handaid and common thumbsucking questions.
- There are other devices on the market that cost less, Why should I buy the HANDAID?
- The HANDAID is for parents who are serious about protecting their childrens teeth. HANDAID is not a toy that looks cute on their thumb and it is not mass-manufactured in China from a plastic. Each HANDAID is individually custom-made for each child so that it fits comfortably and is less distracting to them. This custom fit helps insure their success. Also, your child looses considerable use of their hand with most of the other devices that are on the market. The HANDAID does not in any way impede the use of your childs hand. Again, making it far less distracting and therefore helpful in achieving their success.
- Do I take HANDAID off my child when he goes to school or daycare?
- No! HANDAID will not work if you are going to use it occasionally. HANDAID stays on your childs hand 24/7 until your child has lost their dependancy on thumb-sucking.
- Everything that we have tried in the past has not worked because my child was able to remove it. How does HANDAID stay on?
- HANDAID has a specially designed closure which the child cannot open. Any device is "worthless" if it can be removed by the child.
- What do I do if my child starts to suck their other thumb?
- Sucking their other thumb is not what your child wants to do. Usually they will get tired of having to do this. If they do continue to suck their other thumb, ordering a HANDAID for the other thumb should resolve the problem.
- Is HANDAID safe for my child?
- Most thumb-sucking devices are made from a vinyl plastic which are uncomfortable in the mouth. With the latest information about the harmful toxins given off by these plastics, why would you put these devices on your child so that they can put them in their mouth? HANDAID is not designed to be uncomfortable in the mouth. It is designed to keep the entire hand away from the mouth. Your childs thumb never makes it into their mouth. This is why it is totally safe for your child .
- How long does my child have to wear the HANDAID?
- We have found that the longer the child has been thumb-sucking the longer it takes to break that habit. HANDAID is worn for a minimum of 3 weeks (24/7). And then, one additional week during bedtime only.
- It's only been a week and my son seems to have lost interest in his thumb. Should I take it off?
- "DO NOT BE FOOLED BY EARLY SUCCESS". Just because your child is not complaining about the presence of HANDAID does not mean that they are cured of their habit.
- My son sucks on his middle and index fingers. Will the HANDAID work for me?
- No. But, we can custom-make a HANDAID just for that special problem. Just go to our "Contact" page and describe the problem. We have helped other children with similar habits and I'm sure that we can help you.
- My child is already 8 yrs. old and I can't get him to stop sucking his thumb. The Orthodontist says that he now has constrictive breathing caused from a tongue thrust situation from the thumb sucking. They say that even if he stops now, the tongue is already trained to stay in the wrong place and he would need a bar device put into his mouth with sharp parts on the bar that his tongue will hit and it will re-train it to go back to the proper place. That just sounds horrible to me. Do you think that this Handaid is just too late for my child now. Please let me know what you think.
- Ms. Slim I am guessing that now your son also wants to stop and can't. His habit has become somewhat of an addiction. Alot of the damage has been done and needs a good orthodontist to undo that damage. But most importantly, before the orthodontist can help your son, he first needs to stop thumb-sucking. On our website I state that the longer a child sucks their thumb the longer that it takes for them to stop. Handaid will work for your son because it keeps his hand away from his mouth until he has lost his dependancy on it. He will have to wear it 2 to 3 week longer than normal but it will work. We take the extra steps to make sure that Handaid is as comfortable on the hand as possible and as unobvious as we can so that it is less noticeable to others. I hope that this has been helpful to you.
If you have a particular question that is not listed here, please submit it on our Contact page.